Monday, February 8, 2010

Music for the Moment - "They Don't Make Glass Slippers"

So, anyone who's anyone knows about the impending demise of all of my hopes and dreams that is my withdrawal from culinary school. I know that it's only temporary. I know that I'll go back again. These things give me no comfort. It sucks. I've met so many people that have changed my life, ones that will stay in it forever. Well, maybe that's more "person" than "people" (let's say that her name rhymes with "schmerratic"). I don't want to go there. I'm a mess and it will only get worse if I go into it too deeply. Back to music. There are a million songs I could use to describe my abject misery, but I feel like this particular one best describes the hopelessness that resides in the dark vacuum of bitter hatred that was once my soul (I'm nothing if not dramatic). The song is called "They Don't Make Glass Slippers" by Daniel Boys, though the link is to the much less awesome Gareth Gates.

Once upon a time
There was just a little boy
And he thought the whole world was his
Wasn't very old when he came to find out
That that's not how it is

They don't make glass slippers
It's no great surprise
If they make glass slippers
They don't have my size

Happy ever afters
Always turn out wrong
No fairy godmother pops up
To help things along

They don't make glass slippers
Pretty as they seem
Trouble is glass slippers
Shatter like a dream
Why don't handsome princes
Practice what they preach
Magical kingdoms are always
Just out of my reach

Once upon a time
There was just a little boy
And he thought the whole world was his
Wasn't very old when he came to find out
That that's not how it is

Once upon a time
There was just a little boy
And he thought the whole world was his
Wasn't very old when he came to find out
That that's not how it is

They don't make glass slippers
It's no great surprise
If they make glass slippers
They don't have my size

Happy ever afters
Always turn out wrong
No fairy godmother pops up
To help things along

No fairy godmother pops up
To help things along


This song is the fucking story of my life. WHERE IS MY FAIRY GODMOTHER(emphasis on the fairy)? I had to end on a gay joke. I'll survive...but that's a different song for a different day.

2 comments:

  1. Schmerratic here.

    Let's look at it this way...you get to spend the next 6 months helping me perfect my culinary skills, only to make yours more perfect when you return. I am your own personal cliff notes.

    Then when you come back and some hot shot thinks that THEY are the best in the class, you will take them by the balls/non-balls and be like THIS BITCH IS MINE. I OWN THIS BITCH. I WILL STAB YOU.

    They will worship you. You will be an old wives tale, told from class to class. You will walk through the halls with the crazy look in your eye. And I will dramatically scream HEY GIRL every time I see you. And stare menacingly at all your classmates when they look at me funny and mumble "Oh, God, the knife, it hurts" as they walk by me.

    I have gone too far.

    Schmerratic out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This will be no consolation to you at all right now, but for perspective, you still know what you want to do. That is a lifeline that you can cling to. And you'll make it through. I don't even know you, but I believe that. I do.

    ReplyDelete