Monday, February 22, 2010

I'm a grammar Nazi, mein Freund.

I also don't speak German. So, here's the deal. I love language. I'm the kid that likes to read books on English grammar just so that I can lord minute details of my native tongue over my peers. My biggest pet peeves in the world are who v. whom, ending sentences with prepositions(or prepositional phrases), and the simple things like their v. there v. they're. Am I guilty of these things occasionally? Yes, yes I am. Are these crimes so heinous that one should face a tribunal upon their(see, here is where this one goes.) committal? Maybe.

There is one crime, one horrible act against English nature the for the likes of which I shall never be at fault. That is legitly. I just threw up a little. Those sounds should never be uttered in sequence. Legit? With that I can deal. However, if you add an -ly trying to make it an adverb, fuck you in the ass with something hard and sand-papery. You cannot go around taking the middle out of words all willy-nilly. The establishment will fall people, it will fall! Thinking of which, Heinz, fuck you, too. Est'd? Really? REALLY?!? Burn in hell!

OK, I may have lost my shit there a little. Whimsy, calm the fuck down.

I have one more thing to about which to bitch. I know that recently(by "recently" I mean the last couple of years) it has officially been deemed "correct" to end a sentence with a preposition. I have one thing to say: Homo don't play that game (Yes, I refer to myself as Homo. Yes, you are jealous.). Also, it is not OK. You're wrong, I am right. Na na na na boo boo, stick your head in doo-doo. No truer words have ever been spoken. Also also, I took great care to not end sentences with prepositions in this post. It's a little awkward at times, but you'll deal.

And I'm spent.

3 comments:

  1. Legitly? Oh lord, it's LEGITIMATELY!

    Also, "est'd" I have no problem with. It's like "nat'l" or something like that.

    But I feel you on the grammar nazi thing. But here's a question. Do you use the Oxford comma or not?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been known to use it. In fact, when I don't see it when I expect it I almost miss it. And you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use it every time. I can't not use it. Ha, grammar nazi in my own right and using a double negative. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete