Friday, January 22, 2010

Music for the Moment - "Defying Gravity"

So it may or may come as a surprise, but I'm gay. I'm also a big, fabulous stereotype. As such, I love musical theatre. Showtunes, in a way, just speak to me. I love that every song has a purpose, most songs have a message. I'm a tool, I get inspired. Right now is one of those times. Well, I'm not inspired to write, just to do something. What, I don't know. Just something.

The song for this moment is "Defying Gravity" from Wicked. It's pretty much amazing. These aren't all the lyrics, but in my estimation they're the only ones that really matter.

Something has changed within me
Something is not the same
I'm through with playing by the rules
Of someone else's game
Too late for second-guessing
Too late to go back to sleep
It's time to trust my instincts
Close my eyes: and leap!

It's time to try
Defying gravity
I think I'll try
Defying gravity
And you can't pull me down!

I'm through accepting limits
''cause someone says they're so
Some things I cannot change
But till I try, I'll never know!
Too long I've been afraid of
Losing love I guess I've lost
Well, if that's love
It comes at much too high a cost!
I'd sooner buy
Defying gravity
Kiss me goodbye
I'm defying gravity
And you can't pull me down:

So if you care to find me
Look to the western sky!
As someone told me lately:
"Ev'ryone deserves the chance to fly!"
And if I'm flying solo
At least I'm flying free
To those who'd ground me
Take a message back from me
Tell them how I am
Defying gravity
I'm flying high
Defying gravity
And soon I'll match them in renown
And nobody in all of Oz
No Wizard that there is or was
Is ever gonna bring me down!

If you don't feel anything, you have no soul. I mean you, Erratic. Right now I feel like there are no limits to what I can do. I feel like I can be whomever I want, go any place, and do anything. I know I'm a tool, but I love it when I feel like this. I've felt really down these last few days and all of a sudden it's like I took an upper cocktail. The bitch is back. I LOVE IT.

No comments:

Post a Comment